These are articles about different aspects of Low Budget Vegetarian cooking. You can also view the previous issues of our Low Budget Vegetarian newsletter here.
- Basic Rice and Vegetables Recipe Pattern. - Basic cooking instructions for making rice and vegetable dishes of all sorts, with and without beans.
- Why Low Budget Vegetarian? - So, just why did I create this site, and write my cookbook, in the first place?
- Making Beans Easy to Digest - Cooking beans correctly eliminates problems with bean digestion almost completely. This article tells you how.
- Adapting Recipes that use Meat - Tells how to take a recipe that calls for meat, and change it to a meat-free recipe without sacrificing any flavor.
- Invisible Seaweed - Getting Started Cooking with Sea Vegetables - An introduction to the wonderful world of cooking with sea vegetables, including ways to start out with them where the taste is almost invisible.
- Slow Cooker Vegetarian Cooking - Using a slow cooker with vegetarian cooking. What works well, what doesn't work so well.
- Low Carb Diets and Vegetarian Eating - Examines the whole Low Carb diet craze, and talks about how that relates to a whole foods vegetarian lifestyle.
- How to Bypass the Processed Vegetarian Foods Industry - My own personal rant against the modern vegetarian processed foods industry. Argues why a return to using whole foods makes more sense, costs less, tastes better and is more nutritious.
These are the previous issues of the Low Budget Vegetarian Newsletter, including a note on the food topics covered.
Note that I am no longer writing new newsletter issues.
- September 2005 - Dark Leafy Greens.
- October 2005 - Notes on Cooking Beans; using Kombu or Kelp with Beans; using Whole Soybeans.
- November 2005 - Making a Thanksgiving Meal Vegetarian-Friendly; All-Vegetarian Thanksgiving Meal Ideas.
- December 2005 - Convalescent Cooking.
- January 2006 - Fenugreek; Eritrian/East African Spices, and Recipes.
- February 2006 - Thickening bean stews - with chickpea flour, peanut butter, mashed beans - with sample recipes..
- March 2006 - notes on soy sauce and soy milk - new recipes with hiziki
- April 2006 - changing recommended nutrition standards - slow-cooker easy bean cooking - getting spices at ethnic groceries
- May 2006 - making greens the center of a meal - a new tofu dip with feta cheese and tomato paste
- June 2006 - new menu ideas section on the Recipes page - Mexican mole sauce
- July 2006 - the simple living network - ideas for using TVP
- August 2006 - salad dressings - new recipes (bulghur-rice and vegetable salad, pinto chili dip, Accidental Salad)
- September 2006 - working with hypoglycemia - iron in a vegetarian diet - new vegetarian website - new recipes (dulse sandwich, hiziki with string beans and walnuts)