Rice Bulghur Vegetable Salad
This is my favorite one-dish meal salad.
- 3/4 c short grain white rice (sushi rice)
- 3/4 c bulghur
- 3 c water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp butter or olive oil
- 3-5 tbsp olive oil (this is a rough estimate - use enough!)
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and very finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic pressed or finely chopped
- 2 tbsp dill
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tsp paprika
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3-5 scallions chopped
- 1 large cucumber chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- chopped tomatoes or cherry tomatoes
- 1 can beans (pinto, black, kidney, chickpea), drained and rinsed
Heat the 3 cups water to a boiling, add the rice and bulghur plus salt and oil. Lower flame, cover and steep for 25 minutes, then let sit to cool.
In a salad bowl, combine the other ingredients in the order listed, tastes and spices first. This gives the oil a chance to soak up flavor while you're chopping. Stir or toss after each ingredient.
Once all the vegetables are chopped and stirred in, add the cooked grain and the beans, toss and adjust seasoning.